Like everywhere else in the Philippines, Cebu’s primary transportation is Jeepney. The only difference is the number on top, which for other people is hard to remember. But I’ll tell you what, each number have their own route. You can see that in the front signage or in the side of the jeepney.
They also have “habal-habal” (motorcycle) “Habal” is a Bisaya term which literally means “the sexual (act) intercourse of animals” but now the meaning has evolved to mean the mode of transportation.
And of course, they have Uber, Grab, Taxi and Tricyle. If still in doubt ask around, their primary dialect is “Bisaya” but almost everyone can speak English, just flash a smile and start asking questions.
- UBER: You can get a free ride worth Php500 valid To or From the Mactan-Cebu International Aiport. Open the Uber app, go to Menu > Payment > Add Promo/Gift Code and enter “VIVACEBU”. It’s valid until August 31, 2017.
- GRAB: Use BESTOFCEBU promo code to have a Php100 off from Mactan-Cebu International Airport to anywhere in the City. It’s valid undil December 31, 2017. You’re welcome! 🙂
The jeepney #17B and habal-habal will be your best friend as mode of transportation if you’d like to DIY your travel to see the below mentioned attractions. *You can also download “Cebu Jeep” app if you’d like to go to a particular place in the city.
Cebu city’s primary attraction includes the following:
- Magellans Cross – *Free
- Basilica del Santo Niño – *Free
- Fort San Pedro – Entrance Fee’s (Regular Php30, Student Php20, Senior Citizens Php24)
- Yap-Sandiego Ancestral House – Entrance Fee Php50
- Taoist Temple – *Free
- Temple of Leah – Entrance Fee Php50
- Tops Lookout – Entrance Fee Php100
- Sirao Flower Farm – Entrance Fee Php20
HOW TO GET TO Magellan’s Cross, Basilica del Santo Niño, Fort San Pedro and Yap-Sandiego Ancestral House.
- From (IT Park, JY Mall (Gorordo Ave), N. Escario, Pres. Osmeña Blvd or Fuente Osmeña Circle) ride a jeepney #17B and tell the driver to let you off Sto. Niño. (Fare will be amounting from Php7-10 depending on kms traveled).
- Get off to Sto. Niño and start walking around, both the Magellans Cross and Basilica del Santo Niño are right next to each other so you wouldn’t have a hard time searching for it.
- About 550m (7 mins walk) from the cross you’ll see Fort San Pedro in Plaza Independencia.
- About 750m (9 mins walk) from the cross you’ll see Yap-Sandiego Ancestral House. You’ll also pass thru different monuments and museums along the way.
Magellan’s Cross: My friend Sui flashing a smile on his first time in Philippines.
Outside/Inside pictures of Basilica Del Santo NinoPhoto Credits to my friend @aleksei_indiana_petrakov
Outside/Inside Pictures of Fort San PedroPhoto Credits to my friend @aleksei_indiana_petrakov
And that’s it, you’re able to see some of Cebu’s historical places in no time.
HOW TO GET TO Taoist Temple
- From (IT Park, Gorordo Ave, N. Escario, Pres. Osmeña Blvd, Fuente Osmeña Circle or Sto. Niño) ride a jeepney #17B and ask the driver to let you off Sudlon. NOTE: Immediately after you get off jeepney a lot of habal-habal drivers will tell you about Taoist Temple, Temple of Leah, Tops and Sirao so don’t be surprised.
- Taoist temple is about 1.5km (20 mins walk) from Sudlon. You can also take habal-habal for Php20. NOTE:The Habal-habal driver will drop you off only from the entrance of Beverly Hills since they are not allowed to get in, so start walking to the temple.
Opens from 9AM-5PM.
HOW TO GET TO Temple of Leah, Tops Lookout and Sirao Flower Farm
- From the Beverly Hills entrance, Sudlon or JY Mall (few minutes’ walk from Sudlon) there are a lot of habal-habal drivers that would offer such trip.
- See fare chart below to guide you accordingly. NOTE: They can take only up to 2 passengers. You can still do bargain, but don’t bargain too much they also have families to feed. 🙂
- After the tour the driver will drop you off in JY Mall.
|Attraction/Location||1 Pax (Roundtrip)||2 Pax (Roundtrip)||Entrance Fees||Total Fees (1/2 pax)|
|Temple of Leah||Php 200||Php 300||Php 50||Php 250 / 350|
|Temple of Leah + Tops Lookout||Php 300||Php 400||Php 100||Php 450 / 550|
|Temple of Leah + Tops Lookout + Sirao Flower Farm||Php 500||Php 600||Php 20||Php 670 / 770|
Best time to go to Sirao flower farm is during 2nd/3rd quarter of the year.
I guess you’re a bit hungry after this day trip, so here’s WHERE TO EAT.
- For sure you heard Cebu is famous for Lechon? That’s right! They have plenty of restaurants like (Rico’s Lechon, Lechon Belly, Zubuchon, House of Lechon etc.,) I personally like Rico’s Lechon and Lechon Belly. From (IT Park, JY Mall (Gorordo Ave), N. Escario, Pres. Osmeña Blvd or Fuente Osmeña Circle) take #17B jeepney and head over to Bivo Place, The Maxwell, Escario Central Mall or Acacia st respectively.
- Want some French kind of dinner (Pizza + Pasta + Wine) with a romantic set-up? Then head over to “La Vie Paressiene” & “La Maison Rose” about 500m (6 mins walk from JY Mall). Price ranges from Php250-up. Not bad if you’re in a group right?
- How about something local BBQ? Head over to Larsian BBQ. From (IT Park, JY Mall (Gorordo Ave), N. Escario or Pres. Osmeña Blvd) you can ride #17B jeepney and get off Fuente Osmeña Circle. On your right at the back of BDO Bank.
- Maybe you’re looking for variety of food around the world to satisfy your cravings? Then head over to Sugbu Mercado in IT Park. Opens only from Thu-Sun (6PM-1AM). Use #17B or 17D jeepney.
And there you go, a day full of activities within Cebu city! Just on top of mind computation you spent Php874. Yes, that includes everything, if you followed instructions correctly. This will also vary on food selections or how hungry you were. 🙂
Maybe you’re tired and need some place to stay, so here’s WHERE TO STAY.
There’s a lot of Hotel around the city so you will not have a hard time to locate one. But if you’re in a tight budget then i can suggest “Hey Fellas Guesthouse”.
- Located near the City center, you can ride 03B Jeepney from Fuente Osmena Circle and ask the driver to let you off Planters Bank. It’s on the st on your right. They have (a) Air conditioned Room (350/bed/pax); (b) Fan Room (250/bed/pax). You can contact them via 09166465789.
- Or if you can’t really find a place, i can adopt you as long as I’m in the city. Just message me. 🙂
NOTE: For groups around 4-10 persons, you can also rent a car/van for tours, normally from 4-8 hours, that would cost around Php2800-3500. You can also bargain in here.
All the people have preferences on what they’d like to do. So, here are the places/activities that you might also want to consider:
- Crown Regency Activities – Entrance Fee Php250 + Php250 (each activity)
- Simala Parish Church – *Free
- 10,000 Roses Café – Entrance Fee Php20
HOW TO GET TO Crown Regency
- You can take 17B, 17D, 06B, 06C or 15 jeepney’s, depending on where you are coming from. It’s located in the City Center (Fuente Osmeña Circle).
- Activities includes Skywalk Extreme, Edge Coaster and Tower Zip.
I did tried Skaywalk Extreme and Edge Coaster.
HOW TO GET TO Simala Parish Church
- You can take a bus or van from South Bus Terminal in Cebu city. South bus terminal is near Elizabeth Mall (N. Bacalso Ave).
- From Simala drop-off point, you can either take tricycle or habal-habal for Php20.
- Travel time normally takes 2 and half hour until drop-off point while tricycle/habal-habal is around 10-15 minutes.
Some of the photographic spot outside the church.
HOW TO GET TO 10,000 Roses Cafe
- You can either hire an uber/grab/taxi that will surely cost you more or take V-hire and trisikad for Php50.
- Take V-hire from SM Cebu city to Cordova. Ask the driver to drop you off at Gaisano Grand Cordova or Terminal. *(If you’re in Guadalupe, N. Escario or Ayala, you can take 06H to SM Cebu city or if you’re in Ayala puv terminal you can ride 03Q) .
- Take a trisikad from Gaisano Mall/Terminal to 10,000 Roses Café for Php10. NOTE: Don’t fall for trisikad drivers who will ask for more since it’s only Php10, but if you’re generous enough then for sure he’ll be thankful.
Photo taken during their soft opening. Ideal to go on weekdays, they’re open from 10AM-11PM. It’s also nice during the evening. If you’re hungry after taking tons of pictures there’s Lantaw Floating Native restaurant nearby.
And there you have it, the must see places in Cebu City is now completed. Say Hi! if you have any further questions, I’d be very happy to answer those.
Stay tuned for next update about South and North of Cebu on my next post. Thanks for reading.