I got loads of request to post something about South of Cebu and the kind of activities that they can do, so here it is.
South of Cebu is famous for the following places/activities.
- Oslob: Whaleshark Watching, a close encounter with the gentle giant. Locals call them Butanding.
- Badian: Kawasan Falls, a Gatorade haven and pit stop of Canyoneering.
- Dalaguete: Osmeña Peak, the highest point in Cebu.
- Moalboal (mo-ahl-bo-ahl):
- Panagsama Beach: Snorkeling, Diving, Sardine Run
- White Beach (Basdaku), for the beach bum.
Well aside from that, you guys can also do Chasing Waterfalls like Tumalog Falls (near Oslob), Aguinid Falls (Samboan), Dao Falls (Santander), Binalayan Hidden Falls (Samboan), Cambais Falls (Alegria), Bugnawan Falls (Ginatilan) among others and Trekking (Mt. Lanaya, my personal choice).
Mt. Lanaya (I did went to Tumalog Falls and Dao Falls, can’t find my pictures though)
HOW TO GET TO THE SOUTH OF CEBU
- From Cebu-Mactan International Airport take Mybus (operates from 7AM-9PM) to SM City Cebu Php25.
- From SM City Cebu ride a jeep #10M or #12L Php7 and ask the driver to let you off South Bus terminal.
- Ride a CERES bus from Cebu South Bus Terminal to Oslob, Kawasan, Dalaguete or Moalboal. There are two routes Bato via Barili and Bato via Oslob. Ensure to hop in a bus Bato via Barili if you’re planning to go (Moalboal or Kawasan) and Bato via Oslob for (Dalaguete or Oslob). It will take 2-4 hours depending on traffic conditions. *If going back to City, just head back to where you got off and wait for the bus that says Cebu, it will bring you back to Cebu South Bus Terminal.
Below are the photos of me, my siblings and my friends during the above mentioned activities.
You can ask the boatman guide to take a good pictures for you.Whaleshark Encounter. Photo Credits to my friend @mikeglogger
Kawasan Falls. Photo Credits to myself and my friend @aleksei_indiana_petrakov
Osmeña Peak during the day and sunset.
So here’s a 1 day quick, packed itinerary on the most visited places.
|DATE & TIME||ACTIVITIES||EXPENSES|
|Day Tour||SOUTH CEBU||ESTIMATED BUDGET|
|02:30AM||Wake Up (Assuming you’re in Cebu City)|
|03:00AM||ETD Cebu South Bus Terminal||Php190|
|06:30AM||ETA Oslob (Whaleshark, 10min briefing; 30mins swimming) /Breakfast||Php500/100|
|08:00AM||ETD Oslob to Bato||Php60|
|10:30AM||ETA Badian (Matutinao, Kawasan Falls Starting Point)|
|11:00AM||Start Canyoneering activity|
|02:00PM||End Trail in Kawasan Falls|
|02:30PM||Arrival in Matutinao (20mins walk from Kawasan falls)/Lunch||Php1500|
|03:00PM||ETD Matutinao to Dalaguete (Osmeña Peak) via habal-habal.|
|04:00PM||ETA Osmena peak trail head. Pay hiker’s registration fee/Hire guide.||Php20/50|
|04:30PM||ETA Osmena Peak summit. Photo op, Sunset.|
|06:30PM||ETD Dalaguete Junction|
|07:30PM||ETA Dalaguete Junction (pay habal-habal driver)||Php700|
|08:00PM||ETD to Cebu City||Php110|
|11:00PM||ETA to Cebu City|
- ETD (Estimated Time of Departure); ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival).
- Whaleshark Fee Php500 (local); Php1000 (tourist).
- You don’t need to book canyoneering, just head to Matutinao Beach Resort. If you’re a single traveler they normally ask additional Php500, so if you want to save you can just wait a while. After all It’s more fun to have new friends, right?
- Canyoneering Fee include gears, lunch, snacks and transport to registration area.
- If you don’t want to do canyoneering (which I suggest you must, I did it thrice), you can directly walk to Kawasan Falls from Matutinao Bus drop-off for 20mins. Entrance Fee Php20 (local), Php40 (tourist).
If you feel like you can’t achieve the above day tour (which I did) then here’s a 2-day itinerary, because there is always a second option, a second chance, you just have to make it better this time. LOL.
|DATE & TIME||ACTIVITIES||EXPENSES|
|Day 1||SOUTH OF CEBU||ESTIMATED BUDGET|
|05:00AM||Wake Up (Assuming you’re in Cebu City)|
|06:00AM||ETD Cebu South Bus Terminal/Breakfast||Php100+/100|
|09:00AM||ETA Badian (Matutinao, Kawasan Falls Starting Point)|
|10:00AM||Start Canyoneering activity|
|01:00PM||End Trail in Kawasan Falls|
|01:30PM||Arrival in Matutinao (20mins walk from Kawasan falls)/Lunch||Php1500|
|02:30PM||ETD Matutinao to Dalaguete (Osmeña Peak) via habal-habal.|
|03:30PM||ETA Osmena peak trail head. Pay hiker’s registration fee/Hire guide.||Php20/50|
|04:00PM||ETA Osmena Peak summit. Photo op, Sunset.|
|06:00PM||ETD Dalaguete Junction|
|07:00PM||ETA Dalaguete Junction (pay habal-habal driver)||Php700|
|07:30PM||ETD to Oslob||Php100|
|08:30PM||ETA to Oslob|
|Sleeping time (see below WHERE TO STAY)|
|Day 2||SOUTH OF CEBU||ESTIMATED BUDGET|
|0530AM||Wake Up (You’re in Oslob)|
|0600AM||Swimming with Whaleshark, 10min briefing; 30mins swimming)/Breakfast||Php500|
|0700AM||Chasing Waterfalls (Tumalog Falls) within Oslob area||Php150|
|0900AM||ETD Oslob to Bato||Php60|
|1000AM||ETD Bato to Moalboal||Php100+|
|1130AM||ETA Moalboal proper|
|1200NN||Panagsama Beach or White Beach Basdaku/Lunch (refer to NOTE below)||Php100/100|
|0600PM||Back to Cebu;||Php200+|
|Camp around or|
|Check-in to hostels.|
- Moalboal is kind of divided into two:
- Panagsama Beach, where you can snorkel, dive, drink and dine. If you’d like to swim with Sardines (Sardine Run) you can swim from the shore for about 30m or go to Pescador Island via boat, rent starts at Php1800 depends on how you bargain, you can also merge with other travelers to divide rentals.
- White Beach (Basdaku), when you’re kind of a beach bum, and that’s me.
- From Moalboal bus stop take tricycle, Php150 or Motorbike (habal-habal), Php100 to Panagsama Beach or White Beach (Basdaku) depending on your activity preference. Entrance fee is on the way Php25.
- If you camp in Basdaku, be a responsible camper by throwing your garbage to proper bins not in the ocean. You need to pay for taking a shower next to the stores Php10.
Some of my pictures in Moalboal White Beach (Basdaku).
WHERE TO STAY
I always prefer the cheapest option, but if you’d like a fancy accommodation they are always right next to the shore. But if you’re in a tight budget then i can suggest the following:
- OSLOB: Sharky Located just few steps away from whaleshark briefing area. They have (a) Shared Room (350/bed/pax); (b) Bongalow Houses (900/room).
- MOALBOAL: Moalboal Backpacker Lodge in Panagsama Beach, prices starts at Php350, they have plenty of options.
And viola! South of Cebu checked! Please comeback soon for I’m about to write North of Cebu Adventure! Thanks for reading, have fun!